White Lake LP is the Netmizaaggamig Nishnaabeg’s principal business organization, and delivers a wide range of business services in Mobert and surrounding areas. Our offices are located on Netmizaaggamig Nishnaabeg territory in Mobert, Ontario.
White Lake LP has been mandated by our limited partner, the First Nation, to develop a highway commercial center, including retail fuel operations and a convenience store, among others, opening in 2024.
Reporting to the CEO, and working closely with other members of the management team, the Manager will participate in the detailed planning and construction of the facilities, lead the start-up of the business,, thereafter assuming responsibility and accountability for oversight of the operations of the business.
The principal responsibilities and accountabilities of the position are:
- Provide general management and oversight of the retail and fuel business operations of WLLP
- Lead and manage a team of approximately 5+ staff and various contractors/suppliers, at 1-2 locations, including overseeing employee performance, mentoring employees to improve performance over time
- Create and manage employee schedules, ensure all shifts are covered and adjust these schedules to accommodate employees when possible.
- Build and manage a portfolio of suppliers for various products and services that will supply the retail and fuel businesses
- Develop partnerships with local individuals for locally made items (e.g. food, arts, crafts, etc.) that could be sold through the business
- Monitor the performance and profitability of product and service offerings and adjust in order to maximum sales and profitability
- Manage, secure and control inventories in order to minimize losses
- Develop and manage corporate accounts with various industry and business
- Manage the business technology, point of sale and management systems
- Create and manage customer loyalty and rewards programs.
- Working closely with the CEO, develop an annual business plan and key performance indicators
- Manage customer complaints and oversee the resolution of these complaints
- Ensure that all local, provincial and federal requirements for lawful operation of the business are met by all employees and customers
- Oversee the reporting of employee hours, manage payroll and payroll taxes
- Ensure that employee conduct standards are met at all times
- Ensure that safety protocols required for gas stations are followed at all times
- Ensure that security protocols, such as maintaining small amounts of cash on premises, are followed at all times
- Ensure all operations are carried on in an appropriate, cost-effective way
- Monitor and improve operational management systems, processes and best practices
- Working closely with the health and safety manager, ensure safe practices and competencies on the business premises
- Participate in regular skills training and professional development in order to optimize performance
- Prepare an annual workplan and key performance indicators for the approval of the CEO
- Prepare monthly and other reports as directed by the CEO for presentation to the board and partners
- Maintain positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders, partners, suppliers, etc.
Applicants must have have 3-5 years of prior management experience, optimally in a retail/fuel operation. You will need to be extremely reliable, work well independently and as a member of a team, be an effective negotiator and manager of contracts and supplier relationships, be capable of managing people, and be committed to the highest standards of customer service. Other key competencies required are:
- Public relations
- Strong organizations skills
- Entrepreneurial and creative spirit
- Business and financial management
- Highly personable and works well with people, subordinates
- Self-motivated and driven to achieve goals
Skills upgrading will be provided to individuals who possess the core skills and character but who would benefit from further skills training to succeed in the position.
This position will work from our retail operation(s) in Mobert, and as such the Manger must reside locally or within a reasonable easy daily commuting distance of the business premises – consistent attendance and availability to be attend on the business premises on short notice is non-negotiable
As always, as a proud First Nation-owned company, White Lake LP strongly encourages applications from members of the Netmizaaggamig First Nation.
We are looking for individuals who want to make a long-term commitment, not just a stop over for a year or two.
Applicants should submit their resume and a cover letter that explains why they are a good fit for this position/opportunity. Be creative! We are open to a traditional employee relationship with a pay cheque, but in the interests of ensuring a long-term commitment, we would welcome and consider your ideas for alternative arrangements including performance bonuses and even equity or equity-like benefits.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to Norman Jaehrling, CEO, via email; firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, January 5, 2024 at 4pm. If no suitable applications are received by then, WLLP will continue to receive and review applications on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
Please include the following details in the subject line of your email: competition – Manager – Retail and Fuel Operations
If you would like to schedule an appointment with Mr. Jaehrling to discuss this opportunity and seek additional information, please send an email to email@example.com
Miigwetch for your consideration!